Yesterday was a nice day full of writing, a queer/fancy birthday party, naps, vegan food and an almost dance party. When I write it down it actually sounds pretty amazing. Maybe I’m still adjusting to city shock.
I wonder if part of the reason Portland doesn’t feel as charming to me is because I am not alone. I don’t have the same sense of discovery. Ashley knows the good places to eat and all the queers I’ve met have been through a mutual connection. There isn’t really a feeling of newness. There is a sense of already knowing everyone somehow. Like Portland and the Bay Area only actually have two or three degrees of separation and not even close to six. It’s not a bad thing but it does take a little of my sense of adventure.
Yesterday was Alysia’s birthday cotillion. I’d brought my blue satin dress for the occasion. We sat under four puffs of trees in the middle of a beautiful rose garden. It was a rather stunning sight, all us queers dressed up and surrounded by bright blooming flowers. There was delicious, southern inspired, food and I felt lucky to meet so many of Portland’s femmes all in one spot. There was laughter and jumpy pictures and water fountains. There was a sense of sillyness and sarcasm that I appreciated. And it was nice to see Alysia in an environment that clearly felt like home to hir.
After the party I spent some time resting and then made my way to Red and Black, an anarchist cafĂ©. When I walked through the door I got a confused once over from one of the folks drinking coffee. He didn’t do a very good job of hiding it and it made me want to walk over and say, “Oh yes, these bright yellow flats, tight skirt and red lips can mean anarchist too.” But perhaps I was just feeling a little defensive. I sorted through some photos, ate some kale, and then went along my way.
I’ve been feeling really tired. Probably a combination of long hours driving, newness and being in a social setting for the first time in about a week. I went back to Ashley’s took a nap and got myself ready for a queer dance party just around the corner. The exceedingly lovely Irene had put me in touch with a few of hir friends in town and I met them up at In Other Words, the local feminist bookstore. There was a quick performance by some queers and then a dance party that didn’t expand much beyond four people. Ashley and I being two of them. Still it was a good time and Shea, Irene’s friend, was very sweet and welcoming.
We rounded out the day with a chili cheese dog at Bye and Bye, a vegan bar just down the street. We talked about high school romances and how our lives have shifted. It felt good to sit and share stories for a bit. I forget sometimes just how many I have.
Today after brunch I’ll head out to Seattle, where I’ll get to see Anna Reidy for the first time in about 3 years. I have no idea what to expect from Seattle but I’m looking forward to the drive and the reunion.
No comments:
Post a Comment