Sunday, November 20, 2011

Our Revolution

Growing up working class I watched my Mother hate herself. Not in any sort of obvious way. First because of her addiction and later because of her inability to 'get it right'. No temp or deli counter job ever seemed to bring in enough to feed us, clothe us, house us. A fact she never needed to tell us to hide. So often we went hungry. Or more to the point we learned to do without, expect little and make it work. I ate peanut butter on slices of deli turkey she'd steal from work and my brother got used to macaroni and cheese made without any trace of milk or butter. This is not to say that my mother was weak or sad or fragile. Quite the opposite. Her quick wit, strong shoulders and brave voice made her powerful. Made it near impossible to see the self loathing. To see her deep longing for love. Made it near impossible for me to know that love was something I could want.

In the course of 50 years my working class Grandparents had managed to buy a home, own a car and feed themselves. They did everything right by capitalist standards by working late, doing whatever was asked of them, and minding their manners. They played it straight. Their reward was the ability to climb a few rungs on the class ladder...but it cost them their daughter. They lost her first to the work that prevented them from spending any formative time with her. Second, to the addiction she developed to cope with deep loneliness and neglect. Third, to the shame that came after she got clean and was still unable to properly care for her children. A punishment, it seemed, for being incapable of being as 'good' as my Grandparents.

In my family, worthiness of love is tied to self sufficiency. A contradiction that still ripples through my life on the daily. Well before the age of 10 I had internalized the idea that I should be able to provide for myself and my loved ones without the support of others. To succeed meant earning self respect and the respect of others, which loosely translated to love. To fail meant to stay steeped in the shame of needing to work harder and be better before letting anyone see you.

When I was younger this meant we went without dinner while my Grandparents ate less than a mile away from us. This meant trying to keep my Grandmother out of our kitchen when she would come visit. This meant lying to her when she asked if we needed anything. This isolation, these lies, were important to us. They were how my Mother was supposed to win my Grandparents respect and therefore their love. Love and care were simply commodities to be earned by putting your head down and getting to work. And if you didn't have them then it was your own failing. I helped maintain the illusion because supporting my Mother and striving to meet my own needs seemed to be my best shot at getting the same kind of care she was searching for.

Nothing has been so formative as this early isolation, this early quest to meet my needs, this early lesson about love. I have learned to do without, expect little and make it work. This dynamic has played out in my relationships where I have stayed with partners who had little to offer me, didn't love me or met me with violence. And I am not alone. This is a cycle. A generational wounding that I have seen seep into even the smallest corners of our communities.

The recent economic collapse is nothing compared to the emotional collapse that has been present for decades. And the two are not unrelated. It is unreasonable to think that people can exist within a system that treats them as if they were expendable, worthless and insignificant without internalizing those same messages. It is unwise to ignore the devastating impact this has had on our ability to form connections that nourish and sustain us.

The Occupy Movement means so much more to me than wealth distribution or the state of the economy. Yes let's rally under the banner of the 99% because we have lost our homes, our education, our health. But let's also rally because we have lost each other. Our loved ones. Our ability to connect. These wounds are not just economic, they are emotional. They are wounds that tear at our ability to form full and vibrant relationships with one another. That encourage shame and shutting down and shutting up. They are wounds that sustain the system which creates them.

The power of this movement is not in it's ability to effect economic change. The power of this movement lies in it's ability to shatter our isolation. It is powerful because it has created a moment where the streets hum, you are not alone. Not in your trying, not in your failing, not in your inability to protect the little that is precious in this life. You are not alone. You are not broken. The system is.

We have been told that we are only worth what we produce, what we are able to make for ourselves. So for those of us with access to little raw material, capital, resources, it means believing somewhere under the layers of fierce resistance that perhaps we aren't worth much at all. For me this moment is about more than defending public protest space or shutting down banks. It is claiming my worthiness to be loved. It is about making an internalized struggle public, finding unity and breaking down the barriers to intimacy that have cost me my Mother. My family.

It is about believing that we are worth so much more, knowing we have the numbers to fight for it and saying to the person beside you in the street, you are not alone. There is our revolution.

6 comments:

Lou said...

i love your strength and your clarity. keep it up. you're making a difference.

Susan L said...

I'm really moved. May we each step into the collective power of the we. Only there can we achieve the goal of mutual liberation from oppressive systems, both inner and outer. And may we not forget how difficult that is! It takes enormous courage and commitment to sit quietly with a face full of pepper spray and chaos all around, and it takes enormous courage and commitment to name, accept, and transform our self-judgments and inner chaos. In both cases, it's much easier to retreat into being the victim or "protest" from a place of self-righteousness. Kudos to you! Even after articulating the above, my eyes are still moist.

Nichola Torbett said...

This is so powerful. We need to be talking about the emotional devastation wrecked by living this way. So much of what you wrote resonates with my own experience. Thank you. I am delighted to see this getting posted all over Facebook.

Fire said...

This piece resonates so strongly for me. Especially the heartbreaking need for independence- I remember living in the mountains with my three year old within steps of my parents and sister and I had no propane so I couldn't use the gas stove. We had little food and what we had I cooked on a faulty wood burning stove and it took hours to make a simple cabbage soup. It would never have occurred to me to ask for anything...

The ways that you talk about the occupy movement and tie it to your personal experiences are powerful.

Thank you for your work, your words and for your spirit. I have read things here before but didn't realize it was you! <3

dawny said...

I'm not a political person-I have never really understood the main reason behind the occupy movements. I get it, but could not relate until now. Thank you for giving me your perspective on it. Being raised by my single mom, she managed to put me through catholic grade school as well as high school. We struggled all out lives with money & still do. Like you, her working all the time caused me to be alone or with my grandparents quite often. Its because of this that I was sexually abused by me cousin when I was younger. It was not my moms fault, but she was not there. She was out providing for her family. This world always revolves around money & if you do not have the means than you are meant to feel unworthy of anything good in your life. Thank you for sharing-I love your writing!!

F. Christopher Reynolds, M.Ed. said...

May you continue to move towards a new form of being an elder in our culture where that level of consciousness has gone missing for some time.

You've always had your own voice, yet this essay is at a new level.

May your act of writing continue to be a practice that cares for you even as you care for others.