Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Thoughts

“Lent, in some Christian denominations, is the forty-day-long liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where according to the Bible he endured temptation by Satan. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus.”

I’ve never really understood the purpose of Lent. I figured it was about sacrificing something because Jesus supposedly sacrificed himself to save our souls. So we had to suffer because he did. Like giving up chocolate is somehow equivalent to having nails driven through your body and being hung in the sun to die. Like going without sugar can somehow compare to murder.

This year I want to put a different spin on it. Instead of looking at it as suffering so that I might earn salvation, I will look at it as an opportunity to push myself closer to the persin I want to be. A persin that lives by gospel values of radical love and service. A persin that is committed to caring for others as family and compassionately confronting oppression. This Lenten season I will strive to resurrect my own life, my own joy and my willingness to dig into what surrounds me. I will strive to abstain from the temptation of comfort that comes with blind privilege and remember that true salvation can only come from collective liberation.

At the moment there are two main barriers for me. I’m tired and I’m ignorant. My body and my heart are tired. Sometimes it feels like I hardly have the energy to take care of myself let alone extend that care to others. And there is so much that I don’t know, so much I still need to learn about. I allow my lack of knowledge to paralyze me. Especially when it comes to being a white ally. I worry about saying or doing the wrong thing so I do nothing. Which is probably the worst thing of all.

So here is the plan for the next 40 days (and beyond):

  • I’m not going to eat processed carbs. They slow me down and make me feel crazy. Taking better care of my body is not just about me. When I feel better I’m more likely to lend my time and energy to others. I’m more likely to ask how I can help.
  • I’m going to go on at least one solo adventure a week. I need to get unstuck and remember the amazing possibilities that surround me. I need to give myself the opportunity to interact with people I don’t know.
  • I’m going to read at least 3 books that will push me towards becoming a better white ally and apply for the Anne Braden training.
  • I will read more than headlines about what is happening in communities of color both locally and globally.
  • I will strive to address racism even if it makes me uncomfortable or I’m uncertain how to. And I will no longer wait for the people of color in my life to take the lead on that.
  • I will learn more about the history of San Francisco so as to better hold myself accountable for my part in its gentrification.

More to come….

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as if I needed another reason to be in awe of you... I can't wait to hear where these commitments lead you. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

Cherylin said...

I am glad you articulated these thoughts on working to be a better white ally and speaking up against racism. I am learning a lot lately and don't know what to do about it exactly...

Adam said...

As my mentor/friend/Methodist minister John says,

"Lent isn't about what you give up. Or even about giving things up. That's missing the boat. Lent is about turning inward, about dying to old ways, and rising from that death into the world as something new."

Sounds like you're right on.

As if I'd ever have any doubts about that...