Adaptability became my most useful tool. It made it so
that chaos was always secondary. It made it so that I still got to do some of
the normal kid things. My best friend and I set up a lemonade stand and tried
to sell our toys to the other neighborhood kids. We would wear our side
ponytails on opposite sides for symmetry’s sake. I traded X-Men cards and pogs
with some of the boys in the neighborhood and had to give up three of my best
slammers to get the Storm card I coveted for weeks. I ran and jumped and
climbed things and got bloody knees. I was exuberant and maybe even a little
bit daring.
Because I moved so frequently I didn’t form a lot of
close relationships with kids my age. My best friend who lived down the street
from my Grandmother was my one of my most important relationships because it
was one of the most consistent. There were other kids in the neighborhood too.
Mostly boys. Some I had crushes on and some I made cry by twisting their arm behind
their backs after they called one of my girl friends a nasty name. And then
there was Anthony.
Anthony was an older boy who never had to go to school
and walked around the neighborhood with a broken walkie-talkie and a faded
thrift store security uniform. He would break up our games of wiffle ball or
kick the can in the interest of safety or noise regulation. There was a shared
and unspoken understanding that he was different from us and that something was
wrong with him. Which meant we both humored him and paid very little attention
to him. Sometimes if he would steal our ball we would plead with him or encourage
him to join the game. To which he always responded with a threat to tell our
parents that we were misbehaving. We were never quite sure if we were actually
doing something wrong, confused by his absolute confidence in his authority, so
we frequently would break up the game and go our separate ways.
As a younger girl I was fairly athletic. When I was able
to I played softball and would swim wildly in any pool I had access to. I got
dirty, loved the feeling of my skin baking in the sun, and thought of myself
very much as a tough girl. With rare exceptions I preferred being outside on my
bike to watching television. But at some point that all changed.
Nobody asked me why I began refusing to play out in the
street or why I would only play in the backyard alone. I started to sneak Fruit
Roll Ups and whole tins of Pringles. I sat and watched cartoons and locked
myself either in a room or behind the backyard gate. I still wanted to see my
best friend but would have full melt downs if she refused to spend the night at
my house and instead asked that I walk seven houses down to where she lived. As
my chubby body got fatter my intense anxiety was mistaken for laziness and still
nobody asked me why the change.
The change came underneath the pine tree in the front
yard. That was the day Anthony dug his knee into my stomach after pinning me to
the ground. He told me he needed to search me for stolen goods and put his
hands in places that no girl child would think to hide. I hissed and kicked but
he was not a boy that I could make cry. And when he was done probing the
corners of my body he stood up nonchalantly and walked away mumbling that he
would catch me next time.
My 7 year old self walked into the house through the
garage and stood waiting for somebody to see what happened. I imagine myself
quietly standing next to my Grandfather or Grandmother, mouth slightly agape in
shock and horror. And nobody noticed. So I walked upstairs, remembering I’d
heard this silence before and I knew what it meant. It meant danger. It meant I
was on my own. I remembered my 4 year old self and the banister I was walking
past at the top of the stairs. I remembered how I’d been hung from it and how
that cheap chandelier hung in my focus, upside down, as I waited to find out
whether he would choose to drop me or not. Somewhere in me I remember the deep
sadness that came when I realized that I would have to forego so much of what I
loved to avoid feeling that fear of falling once again.
From ages 3-5 one of my Mother’s boyfriends beat me
regularly and severely. It was why I was put in foster care, it was why I was
in court mandated therapy for the earliest years of my life, it was why I knew
home was not safe. So I had the streets. Not even all of them. Just this one in
front of my Grandmother’s home. And then it was gone. And once it was gone it
was like it had never been there at all. That adaptive skill tricked me into
believing that I preferred being alone, I preferred being inside, I didn’t like
those kids anyway. My fear of being caught by Anthony once again made it so I
would travel only with the thick shield of a car around me. I was a smart girl.
By age 10 I began to buy into the idea that I actually
was lazy. That I didn’t ride my bike anymore because my now fat body wasn’t
capable of it. Riding my bike in public and walking down any street alone
filled me with a panic that I mistook solely for body shame. And the reality is
that fear is and was a swirl of things. Yes it was a way to avoid the insults
hurled at me from moving cars, yes it was a way to hide my heavy breathing from
those who would taunt me for it, but it was also based on a well-founded fear
that being visible in a way you could not control was dangerous. It could get
you caught, it could get you hurt.
At some point my Mother asked me if Anthony ever hurt me.
I told her I think so and she asked me what I wanted to do about it. My Mother
had a way of walking that fine line between empowerment and forcing me to be
overly responsible at too young of an age. I think I told her that I wanted her
to tell his parents. Which I don’t think she ever did. There was a common
understanding that Anthony was not capable of controlling himself or his
actions. I watched him never get in trouble for things other kids got grounded
for. Because he had a disability he was treated as if he was incapable of
control, sound decision making, remorse, or feelings. Which meant that he
couldn’t possibly be held responsible for the harm he caused me, because well
he just didn’t mean it. People’s incorrect assumption about what he was capable
of meant that he never got to be a whole person and I never got to feel safe on
the same street as him.
21 years later and I still do not ride a bike. I still am
sometimes gripped with intense anxiety when I cross the street at a busy
intersection. I still prefer to be at home instead of playing outside. I still
navigate intense fear that my adaptivity has named normal. But I am just now realizing
that the root of this fear is not the shame or anxiety that my fat body would
be seen or noticed. In fact I may not even hate my body at all. No, the root of
the fear is violence. Decades of it. And it is so much harder to adapt to
relative safety than it is to adapt to danger. And this new realization, it
makes some room. Some room for risk and compassion. It offers a sliver more
space for that daring girl to come back and walk the streets again. Knowing
that her grown self, her fatter body, is stronger now. Is safer.
3 comments:
"And it is so much harder to adapt to relative safety than it is to adapt to danger." This. A million times. Thank you for articulating something that I've been trying to wrap my heart around lately. <3<3<3
Thank you for doing this work and sharing it. I am sure so many of us can relate, even if not specifically, to the idea of burying ourselves under the surface of our skin. Thank you.
My god, this story was powerful and incredibly heartbreaking. I literally started crying. You have a great talent as a writer and to have survived what you have inspires me. I am only a recent follower of your blog. Thank you so much for sharing.
Post a Comment