I’ve met some beautifully kind womyn here. People who remember my name. And when they hear it’s my first time many of them look sweetly my way and say, “Welcome Home”. For many this place is home. A space and setting they would choose to live in year round. It is where they shed their armor, love the way they’ve always wanted, dance with reverence and fuck without shame. It is where their family lives. Family that is sometimes decades old and stronger than blood could ever bind. For many this is the only community that has told them they are precious, perfect, lovable and worthy of protection.
I, in many ways, am without a home. I have found that love in small nooks and corners. Sometimes I’ve lived there for years. It has been a blessing to find it at all. But there is a small sadness there. And more than that there is a longing. Home is meant to feel full, abundant. But so often the space I was supposed to call home reeked of not enough. Part of me hoped this could be my home. But each time a womyn welcomes me it is made clear that I am still searching for a space that feels unconditional.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing this Blyth! I felt very similarly while at MWMF. Thank you for putting it so eloquently. - Christine
This reminded a little of my time at Burning Man. The old-timers greet you: "Welcome home!" While I enjoyed it, it did not feel like home, and it felt presumptious, imperialistic even, for people to say that.
Enjoying your perspective and stories from MWMF. I have never attended (I'm male), but I did get the chance to drop by Camp Trans last year.
Post a Comment